While COVID-19 continues to be at the forefront along with other stressful and alarming events, it’s important to focus on your health. Let’s focus on 5 things you can do to improve your health today.
- Limit the amount of simple sugar you eat in foods for the next 24 hours and increase your vegetable intake by 50%.
- Commit to 20 minutes of movement or exercise today.
- For the next 24 hours, do not use electronic devices or turn on the TV while eating. Give your full attention to your food and to those with whom you’re eating. Be present.
- Reach out to someone you care about.
- Sit outside, weather permitting, for 15 minutes. Close your eyes, breathe deeply and slowly, and focus on your breath.
The stress of our persistent “on” and “connected” culture triggers constant stimulation of our stress hormones and keeps our sympathetic “fight or flight” system always on. This affects our immune system and minimizes our capacity to fight infections, including COVID-19 and other viruses. It also affects our capacity to effectively lose weight and sleep restoratively.